Bellwood Health Services site, a nationally recognized and accredited Addiction Treatment Centre, with over 35 years of serving Canadians from across the country, is looking for a candidate to join a seasoned, multi-disciplinary team that is focused on quality care, by using best practice treatment, teamwork and respect. Bellwood currently has an opening for a full time Maintenance Worker.
The Facilities Staff will be responsible for performing general building and property maintenance. Maintain HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning), electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems and equipment. They will help coordinate the day to day operation of the facilities department. Responsible for the upkeep and preservation of Bellwood Health Services grounds, including some landscaping and snow removal. Accountable for performing highly diversified duties to install, troubleshoot, repair and maintain production and facility equipment according to safety, predictive and productive maintenance systems and processes to support the achievement of the site’s business goals and objectives. The Facilities staff shall also be responsible for keeping buildings in clean and orderly condition, and will perform heavy cleaning duties, such as cleaning floors, shampooing rugs, washing walls and glass, and removing rubbish. Duties may include tending furnace and boiler, performing routine maintenance activities, notifying Facilities manager of need for repairs, and cleaning snow or debris from sidewalk. This may also include cutting the lawn and maintaining the gardens in a visually pleasing manner.
Job Function and Duties:
- Perform simple machinist duties and responsibilities.
- Perform regular preventive maintenance on daily equipment and facility such as replacing light bulbs and/or fixtures.
- Perform a variety of plumbing maintenance and repair functions.
- Perform a variety of minor electrical repairs and work.
- Perform a variety of duties related to installing drywall, patching, sanding, and painting.
- Use a variety of hand and power tools, electric meters and material handling equipment in performing duties.
- Detect faulty operations, defective material and report those and any unusual situations to proper supervisor.
- Comply with safety regulations and maintain clean and orderly work areas.
- May be involved in some aspects of building maintenance requirements for new construction, renovations or updates to current systems.
- May help coordinate and monitor contractor activities for projects.
- Work with site-wide building maintenance to ensure compliance to any construction, renovation or updates.
Support department management, project managers and consultants as required
Update and maintain information in Bellwood Health Services Inc records systems and department databases
Set priorities for preventative maintenance work orders, maintenance requisitions and scheduled work.
Attend meetings as required.
Meet with Fire Department, Hydro, etc. as required.
Complete all necessary reports and records related to the department as required.
Operate grounds-keeping power equipment and maintain external property as required.
Adhere to departmental procedures and systems, e.g., “systems for preventative maintenance”, “maintenance requisitions”, scheduled work and continued quality improvement/risk management programs.
Troubleshoot, repair, install, and maintain various electrical components, appliances and equipment in accordance with pertinent codes, the preventative maintenance program and departmental procedures.
Perform necessary work to open clogged sewer lines.
Perform mechanical and preventative maintenance work on equipment as per preventative maintenance manual, e.g., circulating pumps, air handling systems, and refrigeration etc.
Initiate safety concerns and makes judgment on the best methods of completing tasks.
Responsible for some snow removal and ice safety.
Responsible for minor landscaping and the overall esthetic look of Bellwood Health Services Inc property.
Accountable for short-term planning and keeping appropriate authorities aware of decisions being made.
Perform minor asbestos removal (will be trained and certified beforehand)
Perform all other duties as assigned or needed.
- High school diploma/GED Completion of a craft apprenticeship, or an equivalent number of years of education and Facilities Maintenance Coordination experience;
- An AA degree in mechanical, electrical, or industrial maintenance a plus;\
- Highly motivated and able to work independently.
- Minimum 1 year experience in the operation and maintenance of buildings
- Ability to multi-task and establish priorities
- Ability to maintain organization of maintenance schedule and files in a changing environment
- Exhibit initiative, responsibility, flexibility and leadership
- Possess a thorough knowledge of contract administration and office procedures
- Building trades certificate or equivalent desirable
- Knowledge of local, provincial and federal workplace compliance regulations, ordinances and legislation
- Strong communication and problem solving skills
- Possess a valid drivers license
- Able to create alternative solutions to problems
- Excellent time management and project management skills
- High level of sound and independent judgment and reasoning
- Ability to interpret and implement company policies and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to exercise necessary cost control measures
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Able to work well under pressure
- Strong attention to detail
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft computer software (e.g. Excel, Word, etc.) and email
- First Aid skills and/or certificates are considered assets
24/7 availability may be required
Physical ability to lift up to 75lb
Travel to the site, and off-site locations will be required
Safety equipment will be required, e.g. steel-toed safety boots, safety glasses/goggles, etc.
Overtime as required
Hazards associated with the trade
Work both indoors and outdoors
Will be exposed to construction sites
Interested and qualified candidates should submit resumes to [email protected]. Only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Bellwood is an equal opportunity employer and strives to ensure that its hiring process meets the needs of all persons with disabilities. As such, Bellwood will provide reasonable accommodation for any applicant, as requested during the hiring process.