Updated April 6, 2020
EHN Canada places top priority on the health of its patients and staff. We have gone beyond standard protocols to ensure the necessary screening and prevention measures are in place so that our facilities are as safe as possible from coronavirus COVID-19 exposure. Patients continue to be supported wholeheartedly in their recovery. EHN predicts no foreseeable interruption in daily operations, and admission of patients to our residential programs will continue as planned.
EHN Canada continues to work with local Public Health Departments to ensure the following Infection Prevention and Control (IPAC) measures are in place. We follow best practices and continuously monitor them for updates. EHN Canada has advanced IPAC practitioners on staff and our entire team has received additional, updated training on preventative and reactive measures to protect our patients and staff from coronavirus infection.
Pre-Admission Screening of New Patients for Coronavirus
Prior to being admitted to an EHN Canada facility, we ask new patients many questions about their health status. We want to ensure that all patients being admitted to our facilities are screened for symptoms of coronavirus infection that could put our treatment communities at risk.
- All new admissions will additionally be screened outside the facility doors for symptoms when they arrive.
- Our facilities are constantly monitoring and adjusting, as needed, the number of new patients we can admit daily to maintain a safe and healthy environment for everyone.
Family Visits and Aftercare Meetings
Currently, no visitors are allowed at any EHN Canada residential treatment facilities—only staff and patients are allowed onsite. We have moved outpatient services, family programs, and support group meetings to online platforms.
- Outpatient services and support groups have been moved to our Wagon online outpatient clinic, to continue service without interruption. This includes aftercare programs, as well as online individual therapy and group therapy.
- Trainings that were scheduled to be hosted at facilities (such as CSAT and DBT) have been cancelled.
Hand Hygiene to Prevent Coronavirus Transmission
When you enter an EHN Canada treatment facility, you will immediately recognize how important hand hygiene is for us. We’ve recently taken the following measures to ensure that hand-hygiene best practices are adopted by everyone in our facilities.
- All patients and staff are asked to use hand sanitizer immediately when they enter any EHN Canada facility.
- Added extra signage throughout our facilities to remind and encourage both patients and staff to practice frequent and effective hand hygiene.
- Increased the number of hand-hygiene stations in all of our facilities.
- Increased the frequency of hand-hygiene audits for staff.
- Provided education (or re-education) regarding hand hygiene to all patients and staff.
We have full medical and nursing teams available to care for our patients’ health and are taking the following additional precautions to protect our patients’ health.
- Coronavirus COVID-19 fact sheet distributed to all patients.
- Reminders to patients to maintain spatial distance between one another (e.g. in lineups and group sessions).
- Daily health surveillance allows our clinical teams to give patients who get a cold or flu the care that they need.
- Patients who show any symptoms are place on Contact & Droplet Precautions and tested for coronavirus.
- Therapy groups have been reduced in size and are being held in the largest available rooms to reduce patients’ close proximity to each other.
- Planned offsite patient outings are currently cancelled—we are offering alternatives (e.g. virtual reality exposure therapy at Edgewood).
Dining and Meals
EHN Canada is taking the following precautionary measures related to dining and meals to protect our patients.
- Limiting the number of patients in our dining rooms at any one time to reduce patients’ close proximity to one another.
- Having a staff member to remind patients to practice effective hand hygiene before meals.
- Our kitchens have switched to full-service meals (rather than partially self-serve) to avoid cross contamination through foods.
We have a team of highly skilled environmental services staff who keep our facilities clean and surfaces free of germs.
- Our staff sanitize rooms before and after group sessions.
- Extra cleaning shifts have been added to the schedule to ensure that all high-touch surfaces are cleaned frequently throughout the day.
- We have increased how often we deep clean our facilities and have been distributing additional personal protective equipment (PPE) and antiviral products in all of our treatment facilities.
Staff Precautions to Protect Patients from Coronavirus
We’ve recently taken the following precautionary measures to protect our staff from coronavirus infection, and thus minimize the risk of coronavirus exposure in our treatment facilities.
- All staff are required to immediately stop at a screening station as soon as they enter an EHN Canada facility, sanitize their hands, and fill out and sign a screening form. Staff who screen positive will be asked to do the following:
- Immediately perform hand hygiene
- Put on a procedure mask
- Leave the building
- Provided coronavirus COVID-19 information sessions for staff.
- Scheduled work travel has been cancelled.
- Staff returning from travel to non-high-risk countries are instructed to self-screen and monitor for symptoms for 14 days.
- Staff returning from travel to high-risk countries are instructed to self-isolate, work from home, and monitor for symptoms for 14 days. The current list of high-risk countries includes the following: China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Iran, Italy, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Spain.
- All staff are instructed to stay home if they have any symptoms of coronavirus COVID-19.
Call Us If You Have Any Questions
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any comments, concerns, or questions about EHN Canada’s response to COVID-19.
- 1-866-925-2729 for Bellwood Health Services in Toronto, ON
- 1-866-658-3389 for EHN Sandstone, in Calgary, AB
- 1-866-946-4806 for Edgewood Treatment Centre in Nanaimo, BC
- 1-866-965-4713 for Clinique Nouveau Depart in Montreal, QC
You can get the latest updates on the Government of Canada’s coronavirus webpage.