EHN Canada places top priority on the health of its patients and staff. We go beyond standard protocols to ensure that necessary screening and prevention measures are in place so that our facilities are as safe as possible from coronavirus COVID-19 exposure. Patients continue to be supported wholeheartedly in their recovery.
We continue to work regularly with local Public Health Departments to ensure the following Infection Prevention and Control (IPAC) measures are optimized. We follow best practices at each facility in accordance with local health regulations and we continuously monitor them for updates, improving our protocols accordingly.
To ensure you receive the most current information about our COVID-19 measures at each facility, do not hesitate to contact our admissions teams at any of the numbers below.
Pre-Admission Screening of New Patients for Coronavirus
Prior to being admitted to an EHN Canada facility, we ask new patients many questions about their health status. All patients being admitted to our facilities are screened for symptoms of COVID-19 infection. Our facilities are constantly monitoring and adjusting, as needed, the number of new patients we can admit daily to maintain a safe and healthy environment for everyone.
Physical Distance and Masks
All patients and staff are required to maintain at least two metres separation from each other—except for when necessary to provide patients with medical care.
- Staff and patients are required to wear masks indoors when mandated by their province’s public health regulations.
- Therapy groups, where necessary, are reduced in size and are being held in the largest available rooms to ensure that patients and staff can maintain physical distance from one another.
- Furniture in common areas as well as therapy rooms have been arranged to comply with physical distancing requirements.
Hand Hygiene to Prevent Coronavirus Transmission
When you enter an EHN Canada treatment facility, you will immediately recognize how important hand hygiene is for us. We’ve recently taken the following measures to ensure that hand-hygiene best practices are adopted by everyone in our facilities.
- Effective hand hygiene means washing hands with soap and water for at least 30 seconds or using hand sanitizer. Washing with soap and water is likely more effective for protection from the coronavirus.
- All patients and staff are asked to use hand sanitizer immediately when they enter any EHN Canada facility.
- We have placed numerous signs throughout our facilities to remind and encourage both patients and staff to practice frequent and effective hand hygiene.
- We have increased the number of hand-hygiene stations in all of our facilities.
- We have increased the frequency of hand-hygiene audits for staff.
- We have provided education (or re-education) regarding hand hygiene to all patients and staff.
Personal Protective Equipment Use
Whenever mandated by their local public health authority, staff at our facilities must wear masks whenever they are in common areas while indoors.
- Staff providing care for patients with suspected coronavirus infection follow droplet and contact precautions: they wear a mask, isolation gown, gloves, and eye protection.
- Staff who wear masks always practice effective hand hygiene prior to touching their faces, adjusting their masks, or removing their masks.
We have full medical and nursing teams available to care for our patients’ health. We’re taking the following additional precautions to protect our patients:
- Daily health surveillance allows our clinical teams to give patients who get a cold or flu the care and screening that they need.
- Any patient who shows symptoms of coronavirus infection is immediately put on an isolation protocol until they get a negative test result.
- Planned offsite patient outings are currently cancelled—we are offering alternatives (e.g. virtual reality exposure therapy at Edgewood).
We have moved many outpatient services, family programs, and support group meetings to online platforms.
- Many outpatient services and support groups have been moved to EHN Online powered by Wagon, to continue service without interruption. This includes aftercare programs, as well as online individual therapy and group therapy.
- Please note that some outpatient clinics can offer in-person programming according to their provincial guidelines. Please call our admissions team for details.
We have a team of highly skilled environmental services staff who keep our facilities clean and keep surfaces free of germs.
- Our staff sanitize rooms before and after every group session.
- Extra cleaning shifts have been added to the schedule to ensure that all high-touch surfaces are cleaned frequently throughout the day.
- We have increased how often we deep clean our facilities and have been distributing additional personal protective equipment (PPE) and antiviral products in all of our treatment facilities.
Staff Daily COVID-19 Screening
We’ve provided coronavirus COVID-19 information sessions for staff. All staff entering our facilities must complete COVID-19 screening. Staff who screen positive will be asked to do the following:
- Immediately perform hand hygiene and then leave the building.
- Get tested for COVID-19 and not return to work until they have a negative test result.
- All staff are instructed to stay home if they have any symptoms of COVID-19.
Call Us If You Have Any Questions
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any comments, concerns, or questions about EHN Canada’s response to COVID-19.